Vision & Goals
In 2040, the Brooks Area Regional Center is a friendly, prosperous, healthy, engaged, and educated family. The Brooks Area is strong and supportive; pulling together not only in times of crisis but celebrating wins — big and small.
Its evolution will be a leading example of how innovation, equity, quality growth, and environmentally-responsible practices paired with the inherent traits of the South-eastside, no longer born of necessity but a continued community identity—pride, hard work, perseverance, tolerance, gratitude and a desire to be of service to one another, will have phenomenal positive impacts.
The Brooks Area Regional Center cultivates positive and authentic human experiences and seeks to improve both day-to-day living in conjunction with the long-term quality-of-life for the community.
Goal 1: Belonging, Bonding & Balance
- Cultivate the tangible and intangible culture and history of the Brooks Area, enabling traditions and culture to be resilient over time.
- Provide an inclusive, welcoming, friendly, and safe atmosphere.
- Ensure a balance of owner-occupied housing options as well as quality rental options for all members of the community.
- Support a healthy and desirable community, social and dining options which provide opportunity for meaningful interactions, and strengthen the cohesive Brooks Area identity; welcoming, pioneering, innovative, and resilient.
Goal 2: Attachment, Access, Authenticity & Accountability
- Build in impactful and equitable ways to encourage authentic attachment between people and places.
- Support innovative multimodal transit options that provide access for all ages and abilities.
- Support a high-quality digital/technology network providing equitable opportunities for attachment, connectivity, and access.
- Support creative solutions that lead to real change and improved outcomes; begin to “bend the curve,” “move the needle” or “shift the indexes” towards positive socio-economic change.
- Support an innovative atmosphere where failure is a stepping stone towards eventual success.
- Provide access to places for communal ‘attaching and belonging’ and ‘learning and doing’ at unique, community social gathering places with universal design elements.
Goal 3: Reinvestment, Retention & Responsibility
- Incentivize high-paying, socially, environmentally, and fiscally responsible employers who reinvest in the Brooks Area community and its spirit of innovation.
- Incentivize equitable education, housing, and economic opportunities that re-invest in and build the community’s prosperity while being socially and environmentally responsible.
- Honor the history of innovation and technology by supporting incubators, start-ups, and local business.
- Retain and invest in innovation and creativity to dissuade migration of talent, youth, and economic resources to other geographies.
- Support programs which benefit maternal and early childhood investments, investments in teachers and schools, and build family financial stability to address age, race, and education disparities.
Goal 4: Competence, Collaboration & Collective Resilience
- Advance equitable health outcomes by increasing access to affordable healthcare and local fresh foods, remediating environmental concerns, and strengthening public safety.
- Ensure people, animals, trees, water, soil, and air co-exist in a healthy, safe, and productive system using the most innovative tools and best practices available.
- Support, protect, integrate, and ensure access to natural systems and environmental processes.
Goal 5: Prioritize Parks, Public Health & Preservation of Green
- Preserve and encourage green spaces and reduce impervious surfaces.
- Create more and safe, multi-generational public parks and organized programming in recreational spaces.
- Ensure convenient, equitable access to and distribution of parks and open spaces.
- Improve physical and mental wellbeing by providing places for play, respite, and relaxation and for healing and rehabilitation.
- Enhance and create trails and greenways that act as connections while also providing direct community health, social, and environmental benefits.